Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cedar City in Iron County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Ward Hall

Erected 1897

 
 
Ward Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, August 29, 2012
1. Ward Hall Marker
Inscription. Site of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints recreation building known as the Ward Hall. Rushed to completion in the fall of 1897 and deeded to the State of Utah so the Branch Normal School of the University of Utah could be legally operated for its first year. The building was the first home of Southern Utah State College. The Ward Hall was returned to the LDS Church in the fall of 1898 on completion of the Old Main on the Temple Knoll.
The Cedar City National Guard Armory stood on this site from 1937-1978.
 
Erected 1985 by The Cedar City Birthday Committee.
 
Location. 37° 40.693′ N, 113° 3.605′ W. Marker is in Cedar City, Utah, in Iron County. Marker is on North 100 East 0.1 miles north of East Center Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cedar City UT 84720, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Social Hall ( within shouting distance of this marker); Cedar City Tabernacle ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pioneer Stockman ( about 600 feet away); Heroine of China ( approx. 0.2 miles
Ward Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, August 29, 2012
2. Ward Hall Marker
away); Escalante Trail ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Cedar City Railroad Depot ( approx. mile away); Deseret Iron Works ( approx. 0.4 miles away); Pioneer Iron Works Blast Furnace ( approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cedar City.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Education
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 303 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement