Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First step toward local government was taken when Stephen F. Austin and the Baron de Bastrop met (1824) with colonists at the house of William Scott, Midway, to explain colonization laws. Harrisburg, a town by 1826, was one of the original and most influential colonial municipalities, with a major role in Texas War for Independence, which won freedom in 1836.
The county of Harrisburg (later Harris) was created Dec. 30, 1836. The capital of the Texas Republic was within its boundaries for several years. In the Civil War, it was a command and ordnance center (1863-65), of Trans-Mississippi Department, Confederate Army. It has since grown into a center for world commerce.
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee
Location. 29° 45.686′ N, 95° 21.547′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Congress Street and San Jacinto Street, on the right when traveling west on Congress Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1115 Congress St, Houston TX 77002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harris County 1910 Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pillot Building (about 300 feet away); Sweeney, Coombs & Fredericks Building (about 600 feet away); First White House of the Republic of Texas (about 700 feet away); Houston Cotton Exchange and Board of Trade (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Market Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Kennedy Bakery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Magnolia Brewery Building (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Also see . . .
1. Harris County Website. (Submitted on September 17, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. Harris County, Texas. Wikipedia (Submitted on September 17, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 388 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 17, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.