Paragonah in Iron County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The fort was 105 feet square with walls 3 feet thick at the base. A second story was added in 1857. A large room served as church, school and amusement hall. Homes were built around the inside of the wall. The public square includes the site of the fort which was town down in 1879.
Erected 1936 by Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association and the People of Paragonah. (Marker Number 61.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association marker series.
Location. 37° 53.209′ N, 112° 46.516′ W. Marker is in Paragonah, Utah, in Iron County. Marker is on North Main Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 79 North Main Street, Paragonah UT 84760, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Paragonah Town Square (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tithing Lot and Relief Society Hall (within shouting distance of this Pioneer Rock Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Public Works (approx. 4.3 miles away); D.U.P. Relic Hall (approx. 4.3 miles away); First School House and Council House in Iron County (approx. 4.3 miles away); Pioneer Sundial (approx. 4.3 miles away); John C. Freemont Memorial (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paragonah.
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 779 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 19, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.