Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Leeds in Washington County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

From Schoolhouse to Town Hall

A Building on the Move

 
 
From Schoolhouse to Town Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, August 29, 2012
1. From Schoolhouse to Town Hall Marker
Inscription. The building to your left was originally built as a schoolhouse in 1880 in nearby Silver Reef. It also served in the mining boomtown as a place for community dances and other gatherings.

Soon after the schoolhouse was built, Silver Reef began to decline in population, and by the early 1900s the building was no longer in use. At that time, the building was divided into two parts and moved on logs pulled by horses along the road, two miles from Silver Reef to it present site in Leeds. For more than five decades, until 1956, it served as the Leeds Schoolhouse. During most of that time, its two classrooms housed students in eight different grades.

After the school closed, the building was leased to and used by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as a recreation center. Eventually it was remodeled and turned into a town hall and community gathering place for Leeds. The old school was reroofed and the small porch on the original building was expanded across the full length of the new town hall's front.

Leeds Peaches: Did you know?
In the 30s, 40s and 50s when peach farming was booming in Leeds, peaches from the community were shipped throughout the West via rail from Cedar City. The local people working in the orchards, and packing the bushel baskets with ripening peaches became curious
From Schoolhouse to Town Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, August 29, 2012
2. From Schoolhouse to Town Hall Marker
From Schoolhouse to Town Hall Marker is on the right.
about the cost consumer's were paying for their peaches. So they began writing on the slat of the baskets asking for people to write them back and let them know what they were paying. It was common to receive replies from as far away as Texas and Michigan. Compliments about how good the peaches tasted were often included with the replies.
 
Location. 37° 14.321′ N, 113° 21.534′ W. Marker is in Leeds, Utah, in Washington County. Marker is on North Main Street (Utah Route 228), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 218 North Main Street, Leeds UT 84746, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Tale of Three Towns (here, next to this marker); Leeds CCC Camp (approx. 0.6 miles away); Leeds Historic CCC Camp (approx. 0.6 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps, Leeds, Utah (approx. 0.6 miles away); "They Were Poor, Hungry, and They Built to Last" (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. John's Church / Bishop Lawrence J. Scanlan (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mile-long Main Street (approx. 1.1 miles away); Wells Fargo and Company Express Building (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leeds.
 
Categories. AgricultureEducationNotable Buildings
 
Photo Displayed on the Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, August 29, 2012
3. Photo Displayed on the Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 245 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 21, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement