Fernandina Beach in Nassau County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Presbyterian Church
In the 1860,s the building was occupied by Federal troops, in response to pleas Major W.B.C. Duryee cancelled plans to melt the bell for its metal. Tolling of the original bell still calls worshipers to services.
Erected 1964 by The General Duncan Lamont Clinch Historical Society of Amelia Island.
Location. 30° 40.308′ N, 81° 27.623′ W. Marker is in Fernandina Beach, Florida, in Nassau County. Marker is on N 6th Street near Alachua Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fernandina Beach FL 32034, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Memorial United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Lesesne House (about 400 feet away); Nassau County Historic Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Phelan-Verot House Built Prior to 1866 St. Peter's Church (about 700 feet away); David L. Yulee (about 700 feet away); The Good Shepherd Church 1887-1966 (about 800 feet away); Fernandez Grant (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fernandina Beach.
Also see . . . First Presbyterian Church - Fernandina Beach, Florida. ...the oldest church structure on Amelia Island. (Submitted on September 23, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 23, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.