Fort Davis in Jeff Davis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Barry Scobee Mountain
1 Mi. North 6300 Ft. Elev.
Named by Gov. John Connally Dec. 21, 1964, to honor Barry Scobee whose efforts were largely responsible for the preservation of old Fort Davis.
He was born, 1885, in Missouri. Served in U. S. Army in Philippines and later on merchant ship in World War II. Was editor, reporter, printer, publisher. Came to Fort Davis in 1917 and became an authority and writer on Trans-Pecos history.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10487.)
Location. 30° 36.59′ N, 103° 52.738′ W. Marker is in Fort Davis, Texas, in Jeff Davis County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 17 and Espy Place, on the left when traveling north on State Highway 17. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Davis TX 79734, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Joseph Catholic Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort Davis (approx. 1.2 miles away); The First Fort Davis (approx. 1.2 San Antonio-El Paso Road (approx. 1.4 miles away); Hotel Limpia (approx. 1.7 miles away); Union Mercantile (approx. 1.7 miles away); T/SGT. Manuel S. Gonzales (approx. 1.7 miles away); Old Fort Davis CSA (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Davis.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Markers relating to the San Antonio - El Paso Road and Fort Davis
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2012, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 468 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 24, 2012, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.