Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sainte-Mère-Église in Manche Département, Basse-Normandie, France — Lower Normandy (Atlantic Coast)
 

Clifford A. Maughan P.F.C.

 
 
Clifford A. Maughan P.F.C. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, August 19, 2012
1. Clifford A. Maughan P.F.C. Marker
Inscription.
Clifford A. Maughan P.F.C.
F. Co., 505 PIR, 82nd Airborne
Born 1920 — Died 1990
This plaque is to commemorate
P.F.C. Clifford Maughan
who parachuted into the garden of this
house at approximately 01.45 hours
on the morning of 6th June 1944
He was taken prisoner by a German soldier
billeted in this house, who then in turn
surrendered to him. P.F.C. Maughan went
on to fight in Normandy, Holland and to
survive the war.

This is also to perpetuate the memory of
all the other men of the 2nd Platoon,
Mortar Squad of F. Company 505 PIR,
whose heroic actions that night helped
to change the course of history.

Truly their Longest Day
Lt. H. Cadish . . . . Pt. H. Bryant
Sgt. J. Ray . . . . Pt. L. Tlapa
PFC C. Blankenship . . . . Pt. R. Blanchard
PFC A. Van Holsbeck . . . . Pt. J. Steele
PFC P. Shearer . . . . Pt. K. Russell

 
Location. 49° 24.487′ N, 1° 19.013′ W. Marker is in Sainte-Mère-Église, Basse-Normandie, in Manche Département. Marker is on rue Eisenhower, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker faces the town square and its famous church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4 rue Eisenhower, Sainte-Mère-Église, Basse-Normandie 50480, France.
 
Other nearby markers.
Wider View of the House and Garden image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, August 19, 2012
2. Wider View of the House and Garden
At least 8 other markers are within 11 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Remembrance of the Airborne Spirit (within shouting distance of this marker); 82nd and 101st Airborne on D-Day (within shouting distance of this marker); House on Fire at Sainte-Mère-Église (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); General Gavin’s Foxhole (approx. 3.4 kilometers away); 6 June 1944 at LaFiere Bridge (approx. 3.4 kilometers away); PFC Charles DeGlopper Memorial (approx. 3.4 kilometers away); 80th Airborne Antiaircraft Battalion, 82nd Airborne Div. U.S. Army (approx. 3.4 kilometers away); U.S. Coast Guard Memorial at Utah Beach (approx. 10.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sainte-Mère-Église.
 
Regarding Clifford A. Maughan P.F.C.. On D-Day, June 6, 1944, paratroopers of the U.S. 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions landed between midnight and 2 a.m. near the little town of Sainte-Mère-Église in Normandy, France. Many men, especially those of the 82nd Airborne's 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, landed directly in the town itself. They had flown across the English Channel in C-47 aircraft and jumped from an altitude of just 600 feet, leaving little time to maneuver on the way down. The mission was to seize the town and cut off resupply or escape routes that might be needed by German units defending the beaches of
The Church image. Click for full size.
By Roger W. Sinnott, August 18, 2012
3. The Church
A parachute and mannequin representing Pvt. John Steele hang from a spire of this church, similar to what happened to Steele on D-Day. (Click to enlarge.)
Normandy, and where large numbers of Allied forces were to arrive toward dawn that day.

Among Maughan’s comrades honored on this plaque is John Steele, whose parachute snagged on a spire of the church directly across the street from this marker. As Steele dangled, he survived enemy fire by playing dead for several hours.

The paratroopers at Sainte-Mère-Église figure prominently in the film classic The Longest Day (20th Century Fox, 1962).
 
Also see . . .  Military history site. (Submitted on September 24, 2012, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts.)
 
Categories. War, World II
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2012, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 659 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 24, 2012, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement