Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Holland Lodge No. 1
Ancient Free & Accepted Masons of Texas
In Nov. 1837, Holland Lodge was reopened, in the Republic of Texas capitol (at site of present Rice Hotel), Houston.
On Dec. 20, 1837, Holland Lodge No. 36 (the original designation under Grand Lodge of Louisiana) met with the only other Masonic bodies then existent in Texas — Milam Lodge No. 40 of Nacogdoches and McFarland Lodge No. 41 of San Augustine — and organized the Grand Lodge of the Republic of Texas. Dr. Anson Jones, of this lodge, was elected first grand master of the Grand Lodge of the Republic of Texas, and Holland Lodge was assigned the No. 1 designation.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number
Location. 29° 43.736′ N, 95° 23.45′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Montrose Boulevard and Milford Street, on the right when traveling north on Montrose Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4911 Montrose Blvd., Houston TX 77006, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Presbyterian Church of Houston (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Paul's United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); W. L. and Susan Clayton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Clayton House (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Waldo Mansion (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Houston Light Guard (approx. 0.9 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Temple Beth Israel (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Also see . . . Holland Lodge #1. (Submitted on September 26, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 426 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 25, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.