Keene in Cheshire County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
The Old Fort
the site of the old fort
built in 1738
by the early settlers
of Upper Ashuelot
as a refuge
from the Indians
Erected 1906 by Ashuelot Chapter D.A.R. and Keene Chapter S.A.R.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Sons of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 42° 55.577′ N, 72° 16.626′ W. Marker is in Keene, New Hampshire, in Cheshire County. Marker is on Main Street (New Hampshire Route 12) north of Gates Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 289 Main Street, Keene NH 03431, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old Road to Boston (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Meeting House in Upper Ashuelot (approx. ¼ mile away); Deacon Josiah Fisher (approx. half a mile away); Jonathan Myrick Daniels (approx. half a mile away); Hampshire Pottery (approx. half a mile away); Keene Glass Industry (approx. 1.2 miles away); Pierce Shops (approx. 7.4 miles away); Park Hill Meeting House (approx. 9.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Keene.
Also see . . . A Narrative of Keene, New Hampshire 1732-1967 (.pdf). Includes an artist's version of the 1738 fort. (Submitted on February 2, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2012, by Tony Farrick of Shelburne Falls, Ma.. This page has been viewed 506 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 25, 2012, by Tony Farrick of Shelburne Falls, Ma.. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.