King City in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Eventually, the Inn became the nucleus of the town Jolon. Ramirez sold the building in 1871 and it changed hands three more times before it was purchased by Lt. George Dutton and Capt. Thomas Tidball in 1876. Dutton, who became the sole owner in 1878, added a second story of adobe and wood frame structures at either end. Jolon's first post office was located at the Inn, and Dutton added a store and saloon. The saloon boasted a huge fireplace, 6 or 8 poker tables, and an ornate bar which came around the Horn.
By 1876, Jolon had grown into a thriving town serving the Los Burros Mines, surrounding ranches, and many travelers. However, when the railroad came to King City in 1886 traffic followed the railroad, and the old Camino Real fell into disuse. Soon after, the Los Burros Mines gave out as well, and business at the Dutton died down.
William Randolph Hearst purchased the property in 1929 and removed the Dutton's outbuildings as well as many other Jolon structures. In 1940, the U.S. Army acquired
Location. 35° 58.483′ N, 121° 10.533′ W. Marker is in King City, California, in Monterey County. Marker is on Jolon Road (County Route G14) 0.4 miles north of Mission Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: King City CA 93930, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jolon (approx. ¼ mile away); Jose Mario Gil Adobe (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Hacienda (approx. 4½ miles away); De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776 (approx. 5 miles away); First Marriage in California (approx. 5 miles away); Lockwood (approx. 5.8 miles away); Pleyto (approx. 12½ miles away).
Regarding Dutton Hotel. At some point someone built a pole barn structure to protect the adobe ruin from the elements but now, even it, is becoming derelict.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2012, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 449 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 25, 2012, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.