Hays in Ellis County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
First Presbyterian Church
Hays City's first years were marked with bloodshed, lawlessness, and feuds. Eight Presbyterians sought to form a church that would help create law, order, and decency in the community. Under the leadership of a dauntless woman, "Grandma" Annie Wilson, they organized the First Presbyterian Church on May 27, 1873. This native stone church was built in 1879.
Location. 38° 52.19′ N, 99° 19.945′ W. Marker is in Hays, Kansas, in Ellis County. Marker is at the intersection of 7th Street and Main Street, on the left when traveling west on 7th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in front of the Ellis County Historical Society Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West 7th Street, Hays KS 67601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. United States Land Office (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Santa Fe Mail Company Depot (about 600 feet away); Otero & Sellar's Warehouse (about 600 feet away); Union Pacific House (about 700 feet away); Kansas Pacific Depot (about 800 feet away); James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok (about 800 feet away); The Pioneer Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Judge Joyce’s Court (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hays.
Also see . . .
1. Ellis County (Kansas) Historical Society. (Submitted on September 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. First Presbyterian Church of Hays, Kansas. (Submitted on September 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.