Victoria in Ellis County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Capuchin - Franciscan Friars
have ministered to the Catholics of Ellis County since 1878. Saint Fidelis Friary, Herzog (Victoria), was established by Father Matthew Hau, O.F.M. Cap., and Father Anastasius Mueller, O.F.M. Cap., at the invitation of the Bishop of Leavenworth, Rt. Rev. Louis M. Fink, O.S.B., on May 11, 1878. For several years this was the central station from which friars cared for a seven county area. This statue, a tribute to these followers of Saint Francis of Assissi, was dedicated July 28, 1976.
Location. 38° 51.381′ N, 99° 9.07′ W. Marker is in Victoria, Kansas, in Ellis County. Marker is at the intersection of Cathedral Avenue and 9th Street, on the left when traveling south on Cathedral Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 Cathedral Avenue, Victoria KS 67671, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cathedral of the Plains ( a few steps from this marker); Pioneer Family ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans Memorial ( approx. 0.6 miles away); In Memory of the SETH Siblings ( approx. 0.7 miles away); Union Pacific Employees Killed In Cheyenne Indian Raid Merci Train Boxcar ( approx. 8.1 miles away); Avenue of Flags ( approx. 9.2 miles away); War Memorial ( approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victoria.
Also see . . .
1. Capuchin Franciscans Province History. (Submitted on September 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. St. Fidelis Catholic Church. (Submitted on September 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Friars to Leave Hays Parish for Salina. (Submitted on September 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches, Etc. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 279 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.