Columbus in Platte County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
United Methodist Church Bell
Mc Shane Bell Foundry
Weight: 800 lbs.
The Reverend Thomas B. Lemon, presiding elder of the Methodist Episcopal Church in southwest Nebraska, organized a congregation in Nelson in 1877. Church services were first held in the old frame courthouse. When the Christian Church was built in 1878, the Methodists were invited to use the building for services. In 1889, the church was built and the dedication was held on December 22, 1889.
The Carmen Hite memorial bell was dedicated by Reverend Daniels in 1935 and was a gift of Mr. and Mrs. H. H. Hite in memory of their daughter, Carmen, who had passed away at the age of 14. Prior to being placed in Nelson, the bell had belonged to a church near Springfield, Nebraska. The church merged with the Evangelical United Brethren Church in 1968. The church building ceased to be used in 1987 as a result of three churches combining in Nelson.
Erected 1992 by Columbus Community Foundation, Columbus Area Chamber of Commerce, and Concerned Citizens and Organizations.
Location. 41° 25.357′ N, 97° 22.114′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Nebraska, in Touch for map. Belltower is in Pawnee Park. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus NE 68601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Michael's Catholic Church Bell (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named United Methodist Church Bell (here, next to this marker); Sacred Heart Catholic Church Bell (here, next to this marker); St. Mary's Catholic Church Bell (here, next to this marker); North Branch, Oregon Trail (a few steps from this marker); St. Bernard Catholic Church Bell (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named St. Bernard Catholic Church Bell (a few steps from this marker); Congregational Church Bell (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Communications • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 274 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 28, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.