Fayetteville in Washington County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
The Stone House
This house was built in 1845 by Judge David Walker. He sold it in 1850 to Stephen K. Stone, whose family lived here during and after the Civil War. A solid shot from Faganís Confederate Battery on October 3, 1864 pierced the west wall of the house. The Stone House survived the war, as did the Rieff house directly across the street and both are still standing in 1965. Stephen K. Stone and his wife, Amanda Brodie Stone, were public-spirited citizens and made handsome donations to such causes as City Hospital, Methodist Church and the Fayetteville Female Seminary. The Stonesí daughter Mary (Mrs. George Albright) was the last graduate of the Seminary in 1860.
Erected 1965 by Washington County Historical Society.
Location. 36° 3.753′ N, 94° 9.751′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, Arkansas, in Washington County. Marker is on Center Street west of Church Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 207 West Center Street, Fayetteville AR 72701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Reiff House (within shouting distance of this marker); Fayetteville's Earliest Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured Lewis Brothers Building (about 500 feet away); Mrs. Young Block (about 500 feet away); Significant Dates in Fayetteville History (about 700 feet away); Fayetteville Center Square (about 700 feet away); Evolution of Fayetteville (about 700 feet away); First Confederate Company Organized in Washington County (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayetteville.
Also see . . . History of Fayetteville, Arkansas. (Submitted on September 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 300 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.