Fayetteville in Washington County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Following a 16-0 victory over LSU in Memphis on Nov. 13, 1909, the University of Arkansas football team was greeted at the Fayetteville train station across the street by a crowd of fans and students. Arkansas was 5-0 after the win and would finish 7-0. Head coach Hugo Bezdek delivered a speech to the crowd, saying the team played “like a wild band of razorback hogs.” The name was a hit with the student body, which voted in 1910 to change the official mascot from Cardinals to Razorbacks, giving Arkansas one of the most unique and recognizable mascots in the country. This marker was placed in recognition of 100 years of the Razorbacks.
[Dedicated] July 21, 2009
Erected 2009 by University of Arkansas Department of Intercollegiate Athletics.
Location. 36° 3.983′ N, 94° 9.97′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, Arkansas, in Washington County. Marker is on Dickson Street near the railroad grade crossing, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is south across Dickson Street from the former Frisco Railroad Passenger Depot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 551 West Dickson Street, Fayetteville AR 72701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this The State and Land-Grant University of Arkansas (approx. 0.2 miles away); Will Rogers (approx. 0.2 miles away); James William Fulbright (approx. 0.2 miles away); Reiff House (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Stone House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fayetteville's Earliest Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lewis Brothers Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mrs. Young Block (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayetteville.
Also see . . . Razorbacks Football Team. (Submitted on September 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Education • Man-Made Features • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 377 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.