Springdale in Washington County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Here on this, the Old Wire Road, was located Fitzgerald's Station on the Butterfield Overland mail route from St. Louis to San Francisco.
First trip 1858. Last 1861. Longest and best conducted mail route in the world. 2795 miles. Service twice weekly. Fare $200.00. Time 25 days. 140 stations for exchange of horses and passengers.
Erected 1958 by Springdale Chamber of Commerce.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Butterfield Overland Mail marker series.
Location. 36° 12.333′ N, 94° 6.852′ W. Marker is in Springdale, Arkansas, in Washington County. Marker is on Old Wire Road (State Highway 265) south of Dodd Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is on the right just after the Old Missouri Road/Old Wire Road goes from four lanes to two. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2437 Old Wire Road, Springdale AR 72764, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rev. James M. Ingram (approx. 1.8 miles away); Canning Factory (approx. 3˝ miles away); Old City Jail (approx. 3.7 miles away); Train Depot Lowell Postal Service (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Bank of Lowell (approx. 3.7 miles away); Evaporator Near Railroad Track (approx. 3.7 miles away); Original Site of Bloomington (Mudtown) Arkansas (approx. 3.7 miles away).
1. Site buildings
The barn discussed in the weblink article is indeed still standing, but appears to be on private property and was not accessible for photos during my visit. It appears to be a remarkable structure.
— Submitted October 1, 2012, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.
Categories. • Communications • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2012, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 504 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 1, 2012, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.