Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Flagstaff in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Telephone Exchange

1909

 
 
Telephone Exchange Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 16, 2012
1. Telephone Exchange Marker
Inscription. This building was constructed in 1909 by John W. Weatherford, the man who earlier built the adjacent Weatherford Hotel. It was the headquarters for the Arizona Overland Telephone Company, housing its offices and physical plant.

Construction started in July 1909 and was finished that fall. Locally produced materials were used, including lumber, Moenkopi sandstone and red brick.

The Overland Company replaced the Flagstaff Mutual Telephone Company, which had been a strictly in town operation with no long distance capacity. The Overland Company gave Flagstaff residents Arizona wide service. Overland was bought out by the bigger Mountain Bell Company in 1912. Mountain Bell remained in this building until 1930, when it moved into bigger quarters.

After the telephone company moved out, the building was remodeled for a restaurant. The LeBrae Café was placed over the original sandstone.

The present owners removed the stucco front in November 1994 and spent the following months restoring the building to its original look.
 
Erected 1995 by Henry Taylor & Pamela Sam Green, and Richard & Sherry Mangum, and Main Street Foundation.
 
Location. 35° 11.89′ N, 111° 38.937′ W. Marker
Telephone Exchange Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 16, 2012
2. Telephone Exchange Marker
is in Flagstaff, Arizona, in Coconino County. Marker is on North Leroux Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Next to the Weatherford Hotel. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 North Leroux Street, Flagstaff AZ 86001, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Raymond Building (a few steps from this marker); Weatherford Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Aubineau Building (within shouting distance of this marker); McMillan Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Coconino Chop House (within shouting distance of this marker); Flagstaff's Founding (within shouting distance of this marker); Aubineau / Andreatos Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Railroad Depot (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flagstaff.
 
Additional comments.
1. Telephone Company ID
The marker states that the Flagstaff Telephone Company was bought out by Mountain Bell. That statement is incorrect.... Before Mtn Bell it was Mountain States Telephone & Telegraph
    — Submitted December 8, 2013, by Laura Roybal of Peoria, Arizona.

 
Categories. CommunicationsIndustry & CommerceNatural FeaturesNotable Buildings
 
Telephone Exchange Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 16, 2012
3. Telephone Exchange Building and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 749 times since then and 161 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 1, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement