Near Hodgenville in Larue County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
The Lincoln Tavern
In 1928 she and her husband Chester purchased the Knob Creek Farm. The Howards hoped to preserve the land and use the site to share the story of Lincolnís early years in Kentucky. To serve the growing number of tourists, they built the Lincoln Tavern you see here. The tavern opened for business in 1933. Visitors enjoyed food and refreshments from the tavernís kitchen and stopped to buy gas from the pumps outside. There was also live music and dancing in the evenings. The Howards built the tavern from rough hewn logs using trees found on the property, just as frontier settlers like Thomas and Nancy Lincoln might have done.
[ Insert ]
The Lincoln Tavern and Knob Creek site were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988 and became part of the National Park Service in 2001.
Erected by National Park Service Dept. of the Interior.
Location. 37° 36.675′ N, 85° Touch for map. Located to the left of the "Lincoln Tavern" at the 'Knob Creek Farm'. Marker is in this post office area: Hodgenville KY 42748, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Abraham Lincoln's memory of Knob Creek Farm (here, next to this marker); Slavery in the Valley (a few steps from this marker); Lincoln Knob Creek Farm (a few steps from this marker); The Lincolns at Knob Creek (within shouting distance of this marker); Living Off the Land (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Lincoln Knob Creek Farm (within shouting distance of this marker); Fight at New Haven (approx. 4.1 miles away); Courthouse Burned (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hodgenville.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 4, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 529 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 4, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.