Ironton in Lawrence County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ironton Tanks / Tanks Memorial Stadium
(Side A) Ironton Tanks
Semi-professional football began in Ironton in 1893 with a team known as the Irontonians. The Ironton Tanks, founded in 1919, was a combination of two Ironton cross-town rival football clubs known as the Irish Town Rags and the Lombards. The Ironton Tanks, perhaps one of the most appropriate athletic nicknames of the period and one that evidently no other team in the nation adopted, is fitting because team members returning from World War I and new players likened themselves to battlefield tanks that flattened the opposition. Ironton, a city heavily dependent on the iron industry, adopted the Tanks name with gusto. On April 16, 1926, a group called the Beechwood Stadium Corporation was formed to raise money to build the Tanks a permanent home. Six months later, the stadium was completed. The Tanks innovative plays in 1930, looping and angle charges, are still being used today by teams of the National Football League.
(Side B) Tanks Memorial Stadium
Opened in 1926, Tanks Memorial Stadium became the home of the Ironton Tanks semi-professional football team. The Tanks were formed in 1919 and through the years played other semi-professional teams as well as teams from the American Professional Football Association that became the National Football League in 1930. In twelve
Erected 2002 by The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Tiger Clan Athletic Boosters, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 3-44.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 38° 31.489′ N, 82° 40.239′ W. Marker is in Ironton, Ohio, in Lawrence County. Marker is on 7th Street south of Ellison Avneue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker and stadium are on the grounds of Ironton High School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1701 South 7th Street, Ironton OH 45638, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tanks Memorial Stadium Opening Day Nov. 25, 1926 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Unger's Shoes (approx. The Hanging Rock Iron Region / The Blast Furnaces of Lawrence County (approx. one mile away); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (approx. 1.1 miles away); Ironton - Lawrence County Memorial Day Parade (approx. 1.1 miles away); City of Ironton (approx. 1.2 miles away); John Campbell Memorial Home (approx. 1.2 miles away); Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.6 miles away in Kentucky). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ironton.
Regarding Ironton Tanks / Tanks Memorial Stadium. The Detroit Lions Thanksgiving Day football game tradition apparently began with the Ironton Tanks.
Also see . . .
1. The Ironton Tanks, by Thomas Nikitas. (Submitted on October 4, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Ironton Tanks. (Submitted on October 4, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Tanks Memorial Stadium Fund.
Categories. • Entertainment • Man-Made Features • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 4, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 608 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 4, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.