Clayton in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
De Martini Winery
De Martini port, sherry, white claret, and zinfandel won state, national and international recognition. De Martini sherries and ports won first prizes at the 1904 St. Louis Exposition.
Wine production ended when the 1919 Volstead Act prohibited alcoholic beverage sales. De Martini wine making did not resume when prohibition ended in 1933. Phylloxera blighted vineyards had been replanted with orchards that were subdivided for housing after water service came to Clayton in the early 1950’s. The winery was used for storage and as a residence before the city acquired the property in 1988.
Innovative engineering and creative design saved the historic structure and enabled the city to adapt it for functional use and community events.
National Register of Historic Places 1984
California Register of Historic Places 1992
Governor's Historic Preservation Award 1998
California Preservation Foundation Design Award 1998
Location. 37° 56.549′ N, 121° 56.231′ W. Marker is in Clayton, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is on Clayton Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5919 Clayton Road, Clayton CA 94517, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clayton (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Endeavor Hall (about 800 feet away); Joaquin Murrieta (about 800 feet away); The Clayton Club (about 800 feet away); The Joel Clayton House (about 800 feet away); The Growler Saloon – Goethals Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Clayton Post Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); Black Diamond Way (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clayton.
Regarding De Martini Winery. The winery building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on 8/30/1984. It now serves as the City Hall and Police Department.
Also see . . . Di Martini Winery. Near the confluence of Mitchell and Mount Diablo Creeks, Joel Clayton planted 28 acres with a variety of grapes, and built a small winery which later became known as the “sherry house” for distilling (Submitted on October 5, 2012.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 396 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 5, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.