Bedford in Bedford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This Tablet Marks The Site of Fort Bedford
May 30, 1925
Marks the site of Fort Bedford
One of the Frontier Forts built by the British in 1758
The stockade enclosing the fort contained about 7000 square yards of ground
It was the rendezvous and protection for early settlers in case of Indian uprisings
In 1758 General Forbes before starting to attack Fort Duquesne, reviewed his army numbering 7850 at Bedford
Colonel George Washington was here in command of the Virginia troops.
Erected 1925 by Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 40° 1.136′ N, 78° 30.204′ W. Marker is in Bedford, Pennsylvania, in Bedford County. Marker is on East Pitt Street (U.S. 30) 0.1 miles east of Juniata Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Mounted to wall between Bedford Candies/Everything Tea and Deepwood Gallery. Marker is in this post office area: Bedford PA 15522, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "King's House" (here, next to this marker); Espy House (within George Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); Forbes Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Anderson House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grist Millstone (about 400 feet away); Fraser Tavern (about 500 feet away); First Court House and Prison Built in 1774 (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bedford.
Also see . . . Welcome to the Fort Bedford Museum!. (Submitted on October 8, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 372 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 7, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.