The Dempsey Building
Our New Historic Treasure
Our new historic treasure was discovered when the Dempsey building (left [in attached picture - sub.]) was demolished in the fall of 2007. Mr. Dempsey owned a Wholesale and Retail wine and liquor business in this building (37 Virginia Street). He decided to take the advertising offer of the Bloch Brothers Tobacco company to advertise his wines and liquors with their Mail Pouch Tobacco and Chew. This sign which took up the whole side of the building was a bright addition to the corner block. The tobacco package was designed to look like the old Mail Pouches carried by the Pony Express. Our sign is one of a few still found in the northeast. In the 1920's they could be found as far east as Ohio and usually in rural areas on barns, along main highways. Waterloo's treasure is one of the few village signs. It was preserved when the Dempsey Building was added in 1896.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Women's Rights National Historic Park - M'Clintock House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Strong Words Encourage Strong Convictions (about 300 feet away); Coach Tom Coughlin (about 600 feet away); General Lafayette (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sampson Naval Training Station Veterans (approx. 0.2 miles away); Korean Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterloo.
Regarding The Dempsey Building. Having visited this site twice in the last couple years, I certainly hope the property owners find some grant money or something to preserve this treasure. Upstate New York's weather is not conducive to this lasting more than another decade or so without intervention.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2012, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. This page has been viewed 278 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 7, 2012, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.