Hillsboro in Hill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
City of Hillsboro
Inscription. In 1853, the Texas Legislature carved Hill County out of Navarro County. Named for physician and Republic of Texas Secretary of War Dr. George Washington Hill, the new county had only recently attracted Anglo settlement, following the establishment in 1848 of Fort Graham. County commissioners selected Hillsboro, originally spelled Hillsborough, as county seat. They established the town on land donated by Thomas Steiner, John Caruthers and Jonathan Newby, and the community soon had a school and post office, as well as a wood-frame courthouse. Cotton became the mainstay of Hillsboro's late 19th-century economy. The city experienced rapid growth after the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad and other lines came to the town in the early 1880s. In addition to bringing new settlers and giving access to shipping and transportation, railroads provided many new jobs. The city continued to grow and incorporated in 1881. The cotton industry produced a building boom between 1890 and 1910, as evidenced by the numerous Queen Anne homes still intact today, as well as the noted 1890 Hill County Courthouse. In 1923, the community established the Hillsboro Junior College, which over the years has become Hill College. Many Texas political leaders have come from Hillsboro, including U.S. Congressman Joseph Abbott and Texas Lt. Governor Bob Bullock, as well
By Mike Stroud, September 14, 2012
1. City of Hillsboro Marker
as Thomas Slater Smith, Robert Lee Bobbitt, Robert W. Calvert, Crawford C. Martin, Nelson Phillips and Sam Johnson. In 1981, Hillsboro became one of the Texas Historical Commission's five original Texas Main Street Cities. The growing city continues to provide leadership, as well as natural, cultural and educational resources.
By Mike Stroud, 20
2. City of Hillsboro Marker, also shares location with Hillsboro Post Office Marker
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13001.)
Location. 32° 0.586′ N, 97° 7.82′ W. Marker is in Hillsboro, Texas, in Hill County. Marker is on S Waco Street (State Highway 22/171) near W Gould Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located in front of the Public Library. Marker is in this post office area: Hillsboro TX 76645, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hillsboro Post Office Building (here, next to this marker); Bond's Alley (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pioneer Bank Building (about 400 feet away); Hill County Confederate Memorial (about 500 feet away); Courthouse History (about 500 feet away); Site of Old Lexington Village (about 500 feet away); Hill County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Hill County (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hillsboro.
Also see . . .
Hillsboro, Texas, from Wikipedia. The city is known for its abundance of restored Victorian homes and its historic county courthouse, which on January 1, 1993 was heavily damaged by an electrical fire. It was rebuilt, courtesy of donations from around the world and two concerts sponsored by Hill County native Willie Nelson. (Submitted on October 8, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
By Mike Stroud, September 14, 2012
3. City of Hillsboro Marker along S. Waco Street, at the Old Post Office and now Public Library
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 308 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 8, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.