Jacksonville Beach in Duval County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Porter Wood Burning Locomotive
representing type of engine
employed during the 1880's on the
St. Johns Railway, St. Augustine's
first passenger line - chartered
in 1858 and in active operation
Donated to City
January 8, 1960
Location. 30° 17.314′ N, 81° 23.62′ W. Marker is in Jacksonville Beach, Florida, in Duval County. Marker is on Beach Boulevard (U.S. 90), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Located between North 4th Street and North 5th Street. Marker is in this post office area: Jacksonville Beach FL 32250, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Doolittle's 1922 Record Flight (a few steps from this marker); Pablo Beach FEC Foreman's House (a few steps from this marker); Pablo Beach Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); First Settlers At Ruby, Florida (within shouting distance of this marker); Oesterreicher-McCormick Homestead (within shouting distance of this marker); Beaches Museum Chapel (within shouting distance of Mayport Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); American Red Cross Volunteer Life Saving Corps and Station (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonville Beach.
Regarding Porter Wood Burning Locomotive. Greville Bathe
The Bathe Papers contain archival materials comprising Batheís research on Oliver Evans (1755-1819), an American engineer engaged in the development of steam engines. The collection includes copies of letters, design drawings, pamphlets and a book written by Evans, patents, a scrapbook, articles, genealogical information, Evans' will, and writings by Bathe on Evans, including his book about him. Correspondence with libraries and other scholars is included, as are papers relating to the book such as reviews, notebooks, papers relating to the printing and publishing. There is also research material on American engineer Jacob Perkins, for Batheís books Citizen Genet (1946), Horizontal Windmills (1948), and Ship of Destiny...Merrimac (1951), and assorted trade catalogs and materials pertaining to Bathe's manufacturing companies in London and Philadelphia. A photograph album compiled by Bathe containing photographs and sketches of
Also see . . . Florida Historical Society, Saint Johns Railway. St. Johnís River to New Augustine (Submitted on October 10, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
1. Steam power
was temporarily used on the line in the 1860's, but later abandoned for mule teams. In 1878 steam engines were permanently installed. The Florida East Coast Railway acquired the road in 1888, and continued its operation until 1894.
— Submitted October 10, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 477 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 10, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.