Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
near Whitney in Hill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Huron

 
 
Huron Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 14, 2012
1. Huron Marker
Inscription. The U.S. Army established Fort Graham in this area in 1849. Although the fort closed in 1853, the presence of the troops stationed there had prompted the development of settlements throughout this part of Hill County. By 1860, James Monroe and Martha Louisa (George) Neal moved to this immediate area with their family, and the Elm Mott community developed around their property. Over the years, the Neal family donated land to local residents on which to build a school, teacher housing, a Methodist church, a tabernacle and a Woodmen of the World hall. The turn in the road known as Community Corner was the settlement's social center, and Elm Mott became the central stop between the communities of Whitney and Blum, established as railroad towns in 1876 and 1881, respectively. In the early 1880s, widower Jehu Gist moved to Elm Mott with his sisters and children and opened a general store that served the dispersed agricultural community. He later applied for a post office, which required that he find a unique name for the town. After several suggestions, the postal service approved the name Huron, the name of Gist's youngest son. The post office operated in the Gist store from 1897 to 1904. In the early part of the 20th century, the Huron School served about 200 students, and area residents supported three church congregations. Huron students
Huron Marker at Cedar Creek Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 14, 2012
2. Huron Marker at Cedar Creek Baptist Church
consolidated into Blum and Whitney districts in 1949, but Cedar Creek Baptist Church, established in 1888, remains a spiritual and social center, as well as a gathering place for area residents and for descendants of early Huron families.
 
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13501.)
 
Location. 32° 2.424′ N, 97° 21.639′ W. Marker is in near Whitney, Texas, in Hill County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 933, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Whitney TX 76692, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Graham Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); King Memorial United Methodist Church (approx. 6.4 miles away); Whitney (approx. 6.6 miles away); Whitney Messenger (approx. 6.6 miles away); Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 6.8 miles away).
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
Huron Marker, near Farm Road 933 image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 14, 2012
3. Huron Marker, near Farm Road 933
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 11, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement