Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Manhattan in Nye County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Lady Guardian of Old Belmont

 
 
Lady Guardian of Old Belmont Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, September 21, 2012
1. Lady Guardian of Old Belmont Marker
Inscription. The grand old building to the left, once known as the Philadelphia House was built by the Combination Silver Mining Company of New York in 1866. Constructed of native stone acquired from a nearby quarry, the building served as headquarters for mine operations, living quarters for the Superintendent, and for a brief period a temporary Sheriff's office and courthouse during the early glory days of Belmont. During this time, Belmont grew to a population of several thousand and over a 20 year span yielded 15,000,000 dollars in mineral production.

Afterwards, the building had various residents, one of which was a tall, tough woman with severe blue eyes named Rose Walter. Born in Barley Creek, Nevada, Rose lived in Belmont as a young girl. She later married Jack, a miner, who succumbed to silicosis in the early 1950's. Not wanting to leave Belmont after his death, she remained for another thirty years, eventually becoming the sole permanent resident and self appointed protector of Belmont. Rose carried a .44 caliber pistol which she used to dispatch rattlesnakes ("I aim for the head and never miss") and dissuade human scavengers from plundering what was left of Belmont. "These old houses, such as they are, still belong to someone somewhere", she is quoted as saying.

Known as the "Belmont Guardian" because of her diligent
Dedication of Rose Walter marker. image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, September 21, 2012
2. Dedication of Rose Walter marker.
Members of the Dumbellican Brotherhood of E Clampus Vitus gather around as their first monument is dedicated.
protection of town property, Ross Walter died in 1987 at the age of 93. Her photo can be found in the June, 1974 issue of National Geographic.
 
Erected 2012 by The Dumbellican Brotherhood of E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 38° 35.767′ N, 116° 52.467′ W. Marker is in Manhattan, Nevada, in Nye County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Route 82) and Belmont Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Belmont is 16 miles from Manhattan, Nevada, and 46 miles from Tonopah, Nevada, the closest town with gasoline. Marker is in Belmont Ghost Town across from the Belmont Inn and next to Indian Maggie's Saloon. Marker is in this post office area: Manhattan NV 89022, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Belmont (was about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing. ).
 
More about this marker. Marker is made with native rocks from Belmont and lettered with actual silver. The marker is the base of a flagpole. There are cutouts on 2 sides for additional plaques. The Belmont Courthouse can
Belmont, Nevada image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, circa 1900
3. Belmont, Nevada
Photo hangs inside Indian Maggie's bar in Belmont. It shows the town as it looked before the mines closed down.
be seen from the marker.
 
Regarding Lady Guardian of Old Belmont. Belmont, Nevada has no electricity. The residents including the church and both bars use solar power and generators for electricity.
 
Also see . . .
1. A Photo Gallery of Belmont, Nevada. (Submitted on October 11, 2012.)
2. Belmont - A Nevada Ghost Town. (Submitted on October 11, 2012.)
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Flagpole base with marker installed image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, September 21, 2012
4. Flagpole base with marker installed
Flagpole and marker are next to the slowly decaying fire engine in Belmont. An old drill rig can be seen in the background as well as some of the remains of the rock buildings that made up Main Street in Belmont.
Rose Walter and Sarah image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, circa 1955
5. Rose Walter and Sarah
Rose and Sarah were the last residents of Belmont after Rose's husband passed away in 1953. Sarah, a Native American woman passed away a few years later leaving Rose as the only permanent resident of Belmont for nearly 30 years. Aged 61 in 1955, she stayed as watchdog for the town into her 90's.
A view from the marker image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, September 21, 2012
6. A view from the marker
A view up the hill from the marker. The Belmont Courthouse can be seen on the right.
Indian Maggie's Saloon image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, September 21, 2012
7. Indian Maggie's Saloon
The saloon is attached to the Belmont Inn (Combination Mine building) and was built around 1866. This building once housed the local newspaper, the Belmont Currier from 1874 to 1901
Wagon Wheel leaning against the Belmont Inn image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, September 21, 2012
8. Wagon Wheel leaning against the Belmont Inn
Originally built in 1866 for the mining company that started the town, the building is now the Belmont Inn.
Belmont Bank image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson
9. Belmont Bank
The facade of the original bank building still stands in Belmont, the rest of the building has collapsed
Old scraper, miner's cabins and water tank image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, September 21, 2012
10. Old scraper, miner's cabins and water tank
A decaying road scraper sits below a hill with 2 rock miner's cabins along with a water tank on the hill above Belmont Street.
Rock Ruins image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson
11. Rock Ruins
One of many rock buildings in arrested decay in Belmont.
The Belmont Inn, formerly the Combination Mine building built in 1867 image. Click for full size.
By Geno Fambrini, circa May, 2012
12. The Belmont Inn, formerly the Combination Mine building built in 1867
Rose Walter lived here until 1965. The building was later purchased and remodeled as a bed and breakfast now known as the Belmont Inn.
Nye County Courthouse at Belmont, Nevada image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, 1881
13. Nye County Courthouse at Belmont, Nevada
A picture of the Belmont Courthouse in its heyday.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2012, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. This page has been viewed 480 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on October 11, 2012, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Current photo of the Belmont Inn. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement