Williamsport in Maury County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
The Gordon House
In the early 1800s Gordon made an agreement with the Chickasaw Chief George Colbert to operate a trading post and ferry on the Duck River.
Military expeditions with General Andrew Jackson kept him away from home much of the time. His wife Dorathea supervised the construction of the present house in 1817-18. John Gordon died shortly after it was completed, but Mrs. Gordon lived here until her death in 1859.
Erected by United States Department of the Interior National Park Service.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Natchez Trace marker series.
Location. 35° 43.213′ N, 87° 15.668′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Tennessee, in Maury County. Marker can be reached from Natchez Trace Parkway (at milepost 407) south of Williamsport Pike (Tennessee Route 50), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport TN 38487, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named The Gordon House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Family Farm ... Working in Harmony with the Environment Welcome! (approx. 2.4 miles away); Highland Rim Section (approx. 2.4 miles away); Natchez Trace Parkway (approx. 2.4 miles away); Jackson Branch – A Stolen Stream (approx. 2½ miles away); Old Trace Walk (approx. 3.3 miles away); Old Well Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
Also see . . . Natchez Trace Parkway. National Park Service (Submitted on October 15, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2012, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 333 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 11, 2012, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.