Drum Point Lighthouse
Drum Point Lighthouse was built in 1883 to mark the northern approach to the Patuxent River. It was originally located due south of Drum Point, 120 yards offshore, on five acres of submerged land conveyed by Maryland to the federal government.
A white-painted hexagonal wooden structure was built on seven iron screwpiles. All parts were prefabricated and numbered, enabling assembly in only thirty-three days. A fourth-order Fresnel lens was installed and first lit on August 20, 1883, showing a fixed red light. The living quarters contained four equal-size rooms on the first floor-kitchen, sitting room, and two bedrooms. The second floor contained two additional rooms, one housing the bell striking mechanism. Four 200-gallon tanks collected water from the roof.
Location. 38° 19.872′ N, 76° 27.804′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wm. B. Tennison (a few steps from this marker); Menace on the Horizon (within shouting distance of this marker); Marine Railway Gears (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Drum Point Lighthouse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Calvert County (about 700 feet away); Perils along the Patuxent (about 700 feet away); Solomon's Island (approx. ¼ mile away); Apt Anchorage (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Solomons.
Also see . . . Drum Point, MD - Lighthouse Friends.com. (Submitted on October 12, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 293 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 11, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.