The Attar Center
Dedicated to Economic Development of
—Beckley and Southern West Virginia —
Beckley National Bank constructed this neo-classical style building and opened it on April 19, 1924. The bank president was Joseph Luther Smith, father of the future governor of this state, Hulett C. Smith. In 1928, Joseph Smith was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives. This bank building was sold to Beckley Federal Savings and Loan Association (later Beckley Federal Savings Bank) in 1962. That institution operated here until it merged into the Bank of Raleigh (now City National Bank) in 1997. Following the merger the building was occupied.
Marz Attar, local businessman and philanthropist, purchased the building in 2000 and donated it to Forward Southern West Virginia for use as an economic
Location. 37° 46.652′ N, 81° 11.361′ W. Marker is in Beckley, West Virginia, in Raleigh County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and S Fayette Street on Main Street. Touch for map. The plaque is mounted on the NE corner of The Attar Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Main Street, Beckley WV 25801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Civil War Site (here, next to this marker); Beckley (within shouting distance of this marker); Eccles Mine Explosions (within shouting distance of this marker); Superintendent's House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bachelor’s Shanty (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wildwood (approx. From Agriculture to Mining (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Indian Path (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beckley.
Also see . . . . More information on The Attar Center can be found on the emporis web: (Submitted on October 12, 2012, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 12, 2012, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 355 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 12, 2012, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.