Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eureka in Humboldt County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Eureka City Hall

Italian Renaissance Architecture, 1905-1960

 

—Eureka Historic Landmark —

 
Eureka City Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 6, 2012
1. Eureka City Hall Marker
Inscription. Architect J.W. Rowell designed the masonry building which featured a classical entry portico, an elegant cupola with skylights, and street facades of granite blocks, buff-colored bricks, and sandstone detailing.

Built by the Lyon-Wilson Construction Company, this 110 ft. by 120 ft., two-story structure with basement contained all of the city's offices in one building. Fire Company No. 2, police department and jail were also housed here.

Damaged in a 1954 earthquake, the building was demolished in 1960.
 
Erected 2012 by Eureka Main Street, Eureka Heritage Society.
 
Location. 40° 48.221′ N, 124° 9.926′ W. Marker is in Eureka, California, in Humboldt County. Marker is at the intersection of 3rd Street and G Street on 3rd Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eureka CA 95501, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. N.S.G.W. Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Ritz Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Buhne Building (about 300 feet away); Oberon (about 300 feet away); Arkley Center for the Performing Arts
Eureka City Hall Marker - wide view image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 6, 2012
2. Eureka City Hall Marker - wide view
The marker's base rests atop the cornerstone (A.D. 1904) of the former city hall. Made of Madera County granite, the cornerstone now sits only a few feet from where it was originally located, after having spent more than a half century in a museum.
(about 400 feet away); August Palmtag Building (about 400 feet away); J. Lowenthal Building (about 500 feet away); Italianate Architecture (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eureka.
 
Also see . . .
1. Rededication of the Cornerstone for Eureka City Hall. The Journal's notice of the rededication ceremony. (Submitted on October 13, 2012.) 

2. Cornerstone Rededication Ceremony. Humboldt Lodge #79's piece on the rededication of the cornerstone. (Submitted on October 13, 2012.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Eureka City Hall Marker - wider view from northeast image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 6, 2012
3. Eureka City Hall Marker - wider view from northeast
The marker is visible here in the middle of the picture, flanked by two large remaining pieces from the former entryway to the building.
Eureka City Hall - Masonic Cornerstone Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 6, 2012
4. Eureka City Hall - Masonic Cornerstone Plaque
Corner Stone of Original Eureka City Hall
Originally dedicated November 26, 1904 by George W. Hunter, Grand Master of Masons of California. Rededicated May 19, 2012 by Frank Loui, Grand Master of Masons of California. Mayor Frank Jaeger. "Freemasonry supports civic involvement." On each side stand half-round granite entry stones resting on the column plinth stones that were part of the main entry to the original 1904 city hall.
Closeup of the former Eureka City Hall on Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 6, 2012
5. Closeup of the former Eureka City Hall on Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 13, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 328 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 13, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement