Livingston in Polk County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Polk County, C.S.A..
Furnished 4 units to Hood's Texas Brigade (Co. B, 1st Regiment; Co. F, 4th Regiment; Co. H and Co. K, 5th Regiment). Also organized Co. K, 14th Texas Infantry, Randal's Brigade; Co. E, 20th Texas Infantry, Harrison's Brigade; Co. F, 22nd Texas Infantry, Waul's Brigade. 21 of the Alabama-Coushattas joined Co. A, Indian Cavalry.
In 1861, gave through Commissioners Court $1,600 to clothe its soldiers. Throughout the war, old men, women, children and slaves produced food and cotton for support of the war effort.
County's numerous ferries and rivers were used in transporting troops and supplies. Such ports as Drew's Landing floated out goods on flatboats. Industries and facilities of importance included Moscow's sawmill, cotton gin, drugstore and school operated throughout the war by the Masonic Lodge.
Livingston was headquarters, 1867-68, for the Federal Army of Occupation, 5th Military District, with Co. A, 15th Infantry and Co. B, 6th Cavalry, stationed here.
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey. (Marker Number 10419.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 West Church Street, Livingston TX 77351, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Polk County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); 1905 Courthouse Annex (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Polk County (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Old Andress Inn (was about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing. ); "Polk County Enterprise" (about 600 feet away); Old City Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Indian Trails (approx. ¼ mile away); Locomotive No. 5 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livingston.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 15, 2012, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 386 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 15, 2012, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.