Wallisville in Chambers County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mission Nuestra Señora de la Luz
Señora de la Luz
Established in 1757 by Franciscan
the purpose of civilizing and
Christianizing the Orcoquiza
and Bidai Indians
Abandoned in 1772
Erected 1936 by The State of Texas. (Marker Number 9127.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 29° 50.302′ N, 94° 44.175′ W. Marker is in Wallisville, Texas, in Chambers County. Marker is on Feeder Road to Interstate 10 0.3 miles west of Wallisville Liberty Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker may be visible from Interstate-10 but is best viewed from the eastbound feeder road. Marker is in this post office area: Wallisville TX 77597, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Joseph Blancpain's French Trading Post (here, next to this marker); Mission Nuestra Senora de la Luz del Orcoquisac and Presidio San Agustin de Ahumada (here, next to this marker); Site of Old Wallisville (within shouting distance of this marker); Turtle Bayou Resolutions Chambers County Youth Project Show (approx. 5.2 miles away); Fort Anahuac (approx. 6.4 miles away); Robert McAlpin Williamson (approx. 6.4 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Anahuac (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wallisville.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 15, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 511 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on October 16, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 15, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.