Auvers-sur-Oise in Val-d'Oise, Île-de-France, France
Van Gogh at the Ravoux Inn
Vincent van Gogh
dans cette maison
et y mourut
le 29 juillet 1890
Vincent van Gogh
in this house
and died in it
the 29th of July, 1890
Location. 49° 4.239′ N, 2° 10.294′ E. Marker is in Auvers-sur-Oise, Île-de-France, in Val-d'Oise. Marker is on Rue du Général de Gaulle when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 52 Rue du Général de Gaulle, Auvers-sur-Oise, Île-de-France 95430, France.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 24 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Le Moulin de la Galette (approx. 23.7 kilometers away); Le Lapin Agile (approx. 23.7 kilometers away); Le cimetiere Montmartre (approx. 23.7 kilometers away); Clos Montmartre (approx. 23.7 kilometers away); The Students of France (approx. 23.8 kilometers La maison de Rose de Rosimond (approx. 23.8 kilometers away); Le Moulin-Rouge (approx. 23.9 kilometers away); Le Bateau-Lavoir (approx. 23.9 kilometers away).
Regarding Van Gogh at the Ravoux Inn. Vincent van Gogh (1853–1890) was born in the Netherlands and displayed an early talent for drawing. He did not take up oil painting until the last decade of a short and mentally troubled life. The most productive period followed his move to France in 1886, where he lived successively in Paris, Arles, Saint-Rémy, and Auvers-sur-Oise.
Although Van Gogh’s work was not widely known during his lifetime, he ranks today among the world’s great artists. His Portrait of Dr. Gachet, done while at Auvers-sur-Oise, sold in 1990 for $82.5 million at the Christie’s auction house in New York.
Also see . . . Van Gogh at Auvers-sur-Oise. This interesting website includes all of the paintings van Gogh made during the last two months of his life. (Submitted on October 20, 2012, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2012, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 443 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 20, 2012, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.