Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Texas Society, Sons of the American Revolution
Meeting at the Tremont hotel, which formerly stood at this site, a group of Texans organized the Texas Society, Sons of the American Revolution on December 8, 1896, electing as president former speaker of the Texas House of Representatives Ira Hobart Evans (1844-1922).
The Texas society was admitted into the national society in 1897, and the founding group became the state's first chapter, Galveston No. 1. Since the late 1920s, over thirty chapters have been established across the state.
Texas society chapters have been active in promoting awareness of the Revolutionary War period through the pursuit of patriotic, educational, and historical objectives.
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11579.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Galveston TX 77550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Scottish Rite Masonry (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church (about 800 feet away); Eaton Memorial Chapel (about 800 feet away); St. Mary's Cathedral (was approx. 0.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Galveston Office of the National Weather Service (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leon & H. Blum Co. Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1894 Grand Opera House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Galveston in the Republic of Texas (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Also see . . . Texas Society, Sons of the American Revolution Website. (Submitted on October 23, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 369 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 22, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.