Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Paul's Baptist Church -- 1865
This is the first Negro church established in Anderson County. It was founded immediately after emancipation and incorporated in 1873. The Rev. Philip Morris was its first pastor. The present edifice, built in 1903, replaced two earlier frame sanctuaries and is the first brick church for blacks erected in South Carolina. St. Paul's is the mother church of Wilson Calvary and Royal Baptist Churches. Plans for establishing Morris College, named for the first pastor of St. Paul's were made at a meeting held here in 1906. A state Sunday School and BYPU convention also was organized here in 1906. The building was completely remodeled in 1953.
Erected 1976 by Abc--Arba.
Location. 34° 29.917′ N, 82° 39.25′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is on West Reed Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 322 West Reed Street, Anderson SC 29624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of First African American High School in Anderson County (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thompson Centennial United ME Church -- 1867 (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church Site of Rose Hill -- 1794 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sullivan Hardware Co. -- 1875 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Anderson Presbyterian Church Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); In This Burial Ground (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bank of Anderson Building - ca. 1891 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Historic Wilhite House (approx. 0.4 miles away); University Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
Also see . . .
1. Wilson Calvery Baptist Church: Brief History of Our Church. Our beginning grew out of a Sunday School fellowship led by the Reverend H.B. Fuller in the old Minnifield Hall on North Main Street. Reverend Fuller was a member of Saint Paul First Baptist Church but did all that he could to enhance Christian Education in the North Anderson area. (Submitted on October 25, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. History of the Royal Baptist Church. Approximately fifteen (15) members from St. Paul Baptist Church withdrew in 1888 to organize (Submitted on October 25, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Morris College: The Morris Experience. Under authorization granted by the Baptist Educational and Missionary Convention of South Carolina in 1906, Morris College was established in 1908 "for the Christian and Intellectual Training of Negro youth." (Submitted on October 25, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 580 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 25, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.