Conococheague Creek Aqueduct
Chesapeake an Ohio Canal National Historical Park
—National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
The Conococheague Creek Aqueduct before you was completed in 1834. On April 20, 1920, Captain Frank Myers was steering boat #73 into the aqueduct and lightly bumped the upstream wall. He saw the wall give away and called to his stepson driving the mules to cut the towline. The wall and boat crashed into the creek. Capt. Myers jumped to safety and no one was hurt. The aqueduct was repaired with a wooden wall until the flood of 1924 closed the canal for good.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal marker series.
Location. 39° 36.066′ N, 77° 49.632′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on West Potomac Street. Touch for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park (Towpath). Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport MD 21795, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Connecting People and Places (here, next to this marker); Williamsport (a
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 412 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 27, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.