Williamsport in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A Town on the Edge of History
óChesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park ó
In 1832, Williamsport changed as the C&O Canal reached the town. This town became a major place of transfer for goods transported by canal boats. In 1863, Confederate troops advanced and retreated through Williamsport during the Gettysburg Campaign. Here the Civil War could have ended when the flooded Potomac River trapped General Robert E. Leeís Army of Northern Virginia.
Today, Williamsport is again on the edge of change. Connecting to its canal heritage with more canal structures than any other town along the canal, town leaders are revitalizing the town center to serve canal hikers and bikers. Welcome to Williamsport and experience this classic canal town!
Erected by Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park - National Park Service - Department of the Interior.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal marker series.
Location. 39° Touch for map. The marker is located on the grounds of the C&O Canal Towpath. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport MD 21795, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Connecting People and Places (a few steps from this marker); Conococheague Creek Aqueduct (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Williamsport (within shouting distance of this marker); C & O Canal Aqueduct (within shouting distance of this marker); Gettysburg Campaign (within shouting distance of this marker); Cushwa Basin/Williamsport (within shouting distance of this marker); Creating a National Park (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing. ); Life on the Canal (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 503 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 27, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. 3. submitted on July 15, 2016, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.