Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7708.)
Location. 32° 25.793′ N, Touch for map. Located between Farm to Market Road 3270 and Chapman Road (County Road 334). Marker is in this post office area: Tyler TX 75708, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Fannin Internment Camp (here, next to this marker); Camp Fannin, Texas (approx. 0.9 miles away); Our Land - Our Heritage (approx. one mile away); Nicholas Wren 1807-1859 (approx. 2.8 miles away); Harris Creek Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); Scouts of Texas Army (approx. 2.8 miles away); Elisha Everett Lott (approx. 3.1 miles away); Shamburger Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
Also see . . .
1. Camp Fannin, Site History. The Army activated an Air Corps Replacement Training Center in April 1943 at the site, which was converted to an Infantry Replacement Training Center in July 1943. Later that same year, a prisoner-of-war camp commanded by Major Sam H. Burchard was activated. Troop capacity was 18,680 and the camp hospital could accommodate 1,074 patients (Submitted on October 29, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Texas State Historical Association - Camp Fannin, (Submitted on October 30, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 28, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 486 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 29, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on October 30, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.