Athens in Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cook & Brother Armory Building
Timeline and Company Name
1865 Cook & Brother Armory closes at the end of the Civil War.
1870 Athens Manufacturing company purchases the Armory and moves its weaving operation called Check Factory to this location. R.L. Bloomfield is president until his death in 1916. The Check Factory prospers during World War I and survives the Great Depression. A.G. Dudley becomes president of Athens Manufacturing during this time.
1947 After A.G. Dudley’s death in 1947, the factory is sold to Chicopee Mills, a division of Johnson and Johnson.
1980 The Chicopee Factory is acquired by the University of Georgia. The building is restored for adaptive use for the UGA Physical Plant Division and the Small Business Development Center.
2005 The UGA Physical Plant Division and the UGA Small Business Development Center continue to operate in the Chicopee Complex.
Location. 33° 57.483′ N, 83° 21.95′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of Athens-North Oconee River Greenway Touch for map. The marker is located adjacent to the Athens-North Oconee River Greenway parking lot off Dr. Martin Luther King Parkway. Marker is in this post office area: Athens GA 30605, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cook & Brother Confederate Armory (within shouting distance of this marker); Olympic Games in Athens (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Athens Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Clarke County (approx. half a mile away); United States Navy Pre-Flight School (approx. half a mile away); Old College (approx. half a mile away); Abraham Baldwin (approx. half a mile away); Holmes/Hunter Academic Building (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 28, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 311 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 28, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.