A. W. Gray & Sons
For over 50 years the shop, under the management of A.W. and his sons, Leonidas and Albert Y., employed some 60 workers to produce treadmills, threshers, wood saws, ensilage cutters and gasoline engines that were sold all over the world.
In 1868 A. W. Gray rediscovered Middletown's mineral spring which had been lost after the flood of 1811, inspiring a change in the town's name to Middletown Springs in 1885. The Grays bottled and sold the waters, helped finance construction of the Montvert Hotel resort in 1871, and built their own fashionable homes nearby.
Erected 1998 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 43° 28.941′ N, 73° 7.092′ W. Marker is in Middletown Springs, Vermont, in Rutland County. Marker is at the intersection of South Street (Vermont Route 133) and Montvert Road, on the left when traveling south on South Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Middletown Springs VT 05757, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker
Additional keywords. Horse power Farm equipment
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2012, by John Arsenault of Middletown Springs, Vermont. This page has been viewed 461 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 29, 2012, by John Arsenault of Middletown Springs, Vermont. 2. submitted on November 2, 2012, by John Arsenault of Middletown Springs, Vermont. 3. submitted on May 11, 2017, by Dennis Gilkenson of Saxtons River, Vermont. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.