Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Louisville in Barbour County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Old County Court House

 
 
The Old County Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, October 14, 2012
1. The Old County Court House Marker
Inscription. Near this site stood the old Pike County court house which was the county seat of Pike from 1822 to 1827. It also served as the temporary county seat of the newly created Barbour County in 1833, until Clayton was selected. Louisville was settled before 1822 by Daniel Lewis for whom it was named. Two-fifths of the new county of Barbour, including Louisville, was taken from old Pike. The first road in this area led fom Louisville to Williamston to Franklin on the Chattahoochee River.
 
Erected 1978 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
 
Location. 31° 47.278′ N, 85° 33.158′ W. Marker is in Louisville, Alabama, in Barbour County. Marker is on Alabama Route 51, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Louisville AL 36048, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Louisville (within shouting distance of this marker); Barbour County's "Little Scotland"/Pea River Presbyterian Church (approx. 4˝ miles away); Barbour County High School (approx. 6.6 miles away); Miller – Martin Townhouse (approx. 8.4 miles away);
The Old County Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, October 14, 2012
2. The Old County Court House Marker
Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 8.6 miles away); Jere Locke Beasley (approx. 8.7 miles away); Barbour County / Early Barbour County Commissioners (approx. 8.7 miles away); History of Clayton, Alabama/Clayton’s Architectural Heritage (approx. 8.7 miles away).
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 461 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 29, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement