Halifax in Halifax County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Tap Room
In the early 1790s, the building served many functions. Auctions of enslaved people and property occurred here. The Royal White Hart Masonic Lodge met here. Physicians, dentists, tailors, and watchmakers worked on the premises, and students took dancing lessons here. In 1891, the building became a private residence, and remained so until the state purchased it in 1972.
The Historical Halifax Restoration Association raised many of the funds needed to restore the building and furnish it with period reproductions. The Tap Room was dedicated in 2001 to Ray Wilkinson, the Association’s chairman for over 50 years.
Erected by The Historical Halifax Restoration Association, Inc.
Location. 36° 19.764′ N, 77° 35.316′ W. Marker is in Halifax, North Carolina, in Halifax County. Marker is at the intersection of King Street and Saint David Street, on the right when traveling Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Halifax NC 27839, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early American Taverns (a few steps from this marker); Eagle Tavern (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Eagle Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); "Colonial Churchyard" (within shouting distance of this marker); John H. Eaton (within shouting distance of this marker); Halifax Colonial Jails (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonial Punishment (about 300 feet away); The Market Green (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Halifax.
More about this marker. On top is “The 1769 C. J. Southier map shows several buildings, gardens, a pasture and a small pond on lots associated with the Tap Room.”
On the right are photos with the captions:
“The front of the Tap Room in the early 20th century.”
“The back of the Tap Room circa 1938.” Frances Benjamin Johnston Collection, Library of Congress.
“This 1975 restoration photograph shows the building with an interior chimney removed and a third window revealed on the back of the building.”
“Left: This early 1920s photograph shows other buildings located near the Tap Room. The “Polarine Oil” sign pictured directly below suggests that a mechanic’s garage was located a few doors down.”
“Ray Wilkinson (1925-2004) presiding over the 1976 Halifax Day commemoration.”
Also see . . . Historic Halifax. North Carolina Historic Sites (Submitted on October 30, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 308 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.