Halifax in Halifax County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The original Eagle Tavern operated during the colonial period and has since undergone many changes. Built as a private residence on the lot now occupied by the Andrew Jackson School, it was converted to a tavern called the “Sign of the Thistle” in the 1770s by William Martin. It subsequently went by many names and was operated by numerous individuals, including William Barksdale, John Hannon, and Thomas Gary.
Over the years the tavern grew with additions such as “Gary’s long room,” which hosted meetings, balls, and entertainers. The tavern undoubtedly housed members of the Provincial Congress when they met in Halifax to debate independence. In 1825 the Eagle Hotel, as it was then known, hosted one of the town’s most glorious events, a visit from the Marquis de Lafayette.
Location. 36° 19.774′ N, 77° 35.325′ W. Marker is in Halifax, North Carolina, in Halifax County. Marker is at the intersection of King Street and Saint David Street, on the left when traveling north on King Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Halifax NC 27839, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Early American Taverns (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Eagle Tavern (a few steps from this marker); The Tap Room (a few steps from this marker); "Colonial Churchyard" (within shouting distance of this marker); John H. Eaton (within shouting distance of this marker); Halifax Colonial Jails (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonial Punishment (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Market Green (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Halifax.
More about this marker. On the right is a photo of “Eagle Tavern at its former location.” and a “Sale notice for the tavern property. North Carolina Journal, October 20, 1794.”
On the bottom are ads for “Above left: One of the first ventriloquists to visit America, Mr. Rannie appeared in the tavern on August 19, 1806. North Carolina Journal, August 18, 1806.” and “Above right: An earlier traveling entertainment act included acrobatics on a slack wire and magic tricks. North Carolina Journal, May 21, 1794.” Courtesy Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. and a “Background image: Village Tavern, Krimmel,” Toledo Museum of Art.
Also see . . . Historic Halifax. North Carolina Historic Sites (Submitted on October 30, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 278 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.