Beaumont in Butler County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Livestock in the Flint Hills
Beaumont Historical Marker
The Flint Hills of Kansas are the last remnant of the great Tallgrass Prairie that once stretched from Texas to the Great Lakes. The calcium rich soil of the Flint Hills is renowned for its capacity to quickly fatten cattle in the spring. Beaumont, in 1910 had holding pens for 9,000 head of cattle that came and went by rail. This was before the days of feedlot grain fed cattle. At this time, Beaumont was a typical old western town. The Frisco had four eastbound and four westbound trains a day. The Beaumont Hotel, then known as the Summit Hotel because it was the highest point on the Frisco line from Ellsworth, Kansas to St. Louis, was used by the cattle barons from Texas and Oklahoma as well as travelers on the Frisco Railroad. It was used as headquarters for those who shipped cattle or brought cattle to fatten. While the cattle barons and ranchers stayed in the hotel, the cowboys camped outside.
Erected by Beaumont Hotel.
Location. 37° 39.28′ N, 96° 31.976′ W. Marker is in Beaumont, Kansas, in Butler County. Marker is on SE 116th Terrace south of SE Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11651 SE Main Street, Beaumont KS 67012, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Beaumont Becomes a Railroad Town (within shouting distance of this marker); 1885 Frisco Water Tower (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Beaumont Grass Landing Strip (about 300 feet away); The Historic Beaumont Hotel / The Beaumont Hotel Restoration (about 400 feet away); The Frisco Ponds (about 600 feet away).
Also see . . .
1. About Beaumont, Kansas. (Submitted on October 30, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Splendor of the Grass. (Submitted on October 30, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Animals • Environment • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 353 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 30, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.