Beaumont in Butler County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Frisco Ponds
Beaumont Historical Marker
These Frisco Ponds were developed in 1885 along with the now historic wooden water tower. The water was used to fuel the steam locomotives traveling west bound on the Frisco Line that had used all their water pulling the steep grade from Piedmont, Kansas. The ponds were constructed through the use of horses and large drag strips known as "Fresnos". The horse team would travel round and round increasing the depth and circumference with each pass. The Beaumont Hotel graciously received the Frisco ponds in 2005 through the generosity of Pete Ferrell, a fourth generation rancher, whose family has owned and operated the Ferrell Ranch south of Beaumonth. In 2007, Stephen Craig restored both the upper and lower dams and concrete spillways in order to return both ponds to full capacity. Further improvements are planned for this area to include wildlife habitat. The ponds provied excellent fishing for guests of The Beaumont Hotel.
Erected by Beaumont Hotel.
Location. 37° 39.185′ N, 96° 31.963′ W. Marker is in Beaumont, Kansas, in Butler County. Touch for map. Marker is about 1000 feet south of The Beaumont Hotel. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11651 SE Main Street, Beaumont KS 67012, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Livestock in the Flint Hills (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Beaumont Becomes a Railroad Town (about 700 feet away); 1885 Frisco Water Tower (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Beaumont Grass Landing Strip (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Historic Beaumont Hotel / The Beaumont Hotel Restoration (approx. 0.2 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. The Frisco Ponds. (Submitted on November 1, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. The Frisco: A Look Back. (Submitted on November 1, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 282 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 1, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.