El Paso in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
La Patria Newspaper
317 South El Paso Street was the site of a leading pro-Villista Spanish language newspaper, La Patria, published by Silvestre Terrazas, a member of the oligarchic Chihuahuan Terrazas family. Terrazas wrote for La Revista Catolica and founded El Correo de Chihuahua in 1899. He originally supported the policies of the Diaz government but in 1907 he was briefly detained by the government after penning an editorial criticizing police handling of a bank robbery. After being threatened with imprisonment, Terrazas fled to El Paso where he helped revolutionaries in their fight against Diaz. He established an intelligence center, gathered military information, and served as an intermediary between Francisco "Pancho" Villa and Venustiano Carranza. In 1915 he briefly returned to Mexico to serve in the Villa government. He returned to El Paso once again and from 1919 to 1924 published La Patria to promote the Villista cause.
Erected by El Paso County Historical Commission.
Location. 31° 45.364′ N, 106° 29.31′ W. Marker is in El Paso, Texas, in El Paso County. Marker is on South El Paso Street north of East Paisono Drive (U.S. 85), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 317 South El Paso Street, El Paso TX 79901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stage Station (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Montgomery Building (about 400 feet away); Hotel Paso Del Norte (about 700 feet away); A City Is Born (about 700 feet away); Pioneer Plaza (approx. 0.2 miles away); El Paso (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fray García de San Francisco (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Wesley Hardin (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Paso.
Categories. • Communications • Hispanic Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 346 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 31, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.