Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Corsicana in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

15th Texas Infantry Companies E and G

 
 
15th Texas Infantry Companies E and G Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
1. 15th Texas Infantry Companies E and G Marker
Inscription. Several communities in Navarro County organized military units that saw action in the Civil War. Company E of the 15th Texas Infantry was formed on April 16, 1862, when two squads were combined into one unit under the leadership of Captain Joshua Long Halbert, a prominent Corsicana lawyer. Company G, 15th Texas Infantry, was originally part of William Melton's 13th Texas Infantry, but the company was reorganized during the winter of 1861-1862 as Company G, under the command of Captain Clinton Fouty. The two companies were assigned to Colonel William Speight, and saw action throughout the Trans-Mississippi region, including Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana and Indian Territory. As they began their journey to Arkansas, the regiment first saw combat on September 29, 1863 at the Battle of Bayou Fordoche, northeast of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. After the battle, the 15th Texas saw action at Bayou Bourbeau, which was one of the early skirmishes that led to the Red River Campaign. Although a Confederate victory, the battle took a toll on the soldiers from Navarro County, with 7 killed in action, 22 wounded and 5 missing. Additionally, the group later saw action during the Red River Campaign at the battles of Mansfield, Pleasant Hill, Mansura and Yellow Bayou, Louisiana. The campaign resulted in the halting of the Union advance by the Confederate forces,
15th Texas Infantry Companies E and G Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
2. 15th Texas Infantry Companies E and G Marker
and may have prolonged the war by distracting the Union's efforts to capture Mobile, Alabama. The men of Companies E and G started their journey back to Navarro County on February 20, 1865 and were discharged later that spring.
 
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15954.)
 
Location. 32° 4.628′ N, 96° 29.817′ W. Marker is in Corsicana, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker is on West Collin Avenue near North 41st Street. Touch for map. Located on Navarro College Campus, Cook Education Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3100 West Collin Avenue, Corsicana TX 75110, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Navarro Rifles (here, next to this marker); Odd Fellow and Rebekah Children's Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); IOOF Home Memorial Bell Tower (approx. 0.4 miles away); Corsicana Hebrew Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); James Clinton Neill (approx. 1.2 miles away); Smith-McCrery Home (approx. 1.4 miles away); Dunn-Ransom Home (approx. 1.4 miles away); Judge John S. Callicutt (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corsicana.
 
Also see . . .
1. Halbert's Company, Company E, 15th Texas Infantry Regiment, Navarro County entry
15th Texas Infantry Companies E and G Marker, traffic circle , Navarro College image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
3. 15th Texas Infantry Companies E and G Marker, traffic circle , Navarro College
. Abt 1861 Henry S. Crossland of Corsicana, TX formed a squad of about 54 Corsicanans and Navarro Countians to serve as infantry in the CSA. (Roster included) (Submitted on November 6, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 

2. Fouty's Company Company G, 15th Texas Infantry Regiment , Navarro County entry. Fouty's company was organized April 12, 1862 from men who had re-enlised from Captain William Melton's Navarro County Company of the 13th Texas Infantry Regiment. (Roster included) (Submitted on November 6, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 

3. The Battle of Stirling's Plantation (also known as the Battle of Fordoche Bridge. ... the Confederates took two ten pounder parrot rifles with caissons, two new ambulances, one hospital wagon loaded with medical supplies, and all of the arms of the captured men.... (Submitted on November 1, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
15th Texas Infantry Companies E and G Marker (l), Navarro College Campus, Cook Education Center image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
4. 15th Texas Infantry Companies E and G Marker (l), Navarro College Campus, Cook Education Center
* Shares location with Navarro Rifles Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 1, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 441 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 6, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement