Parish of Sacred Heart - Chetopa
The missionary priest from the Jesuit Osage Mission came to to [sic] the area surrounding Chetopa in 1847. The opening of a church was delayed due to the outbreak of the Civil War. Sadness came to the small town in 1857 when the town was burned down by the Union army. The earliest attempt to begin a church was in 1868, when father Philip Coleton, SJ organized a mission station in the home of Mrs. Estes. The first Mass recorded in 1871 and celebrated by Father T. Dougherty coming from Baxter Springs.
Father Eugene Bononcini was appointed the first resident pastor in 1873. The first church was a wood frame structure and was dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Father A. Hospenthal came as pastor in 1880 at which time a new rectory was constructed for $1,200. Most of the labor for the new rectory was donated.
The parish grew gradually and in 1900 the brick church was erected through Father Moses Kiley's leadership. Thirty years later stained glass windows went into place in the church and a sacristy was added in 1952.
The men of Sacred Heart Parish erected a parish hall in 1985. Father Joseph Abraham was the pastor who led the building of the parish hall.
The church was declared unsafe by insurance inspectors in May of 2008. The Diocese of Wichita closed the parish immediately and parishioners blended with Mother
The church was razed in July of 2008 and the stained glass windows were added to Mother of God Church. The Hall was deeded to Holy Family Council 7441 Oswego-Chetopa of the Knights of Columbus. At the center of this landmark memorial is a cornerstone of the church, and the brick are from the church.
Pastors of Sacred Heart Parish
1871 - 1874 Rev. T. Dougherty
1874 - 1880 Rev. Eugenio Bononcini
1883 - 1884 Rev. A. Hospethal [sic]
1884 - 1886 Rev. Loehrere
1884 - 1887 Rev. A. Wieners
1886 - 1887 Rev. T.J. Butler
1887 - 1888 Rev. J.J. O'Connor
1888 - 1889 Rev. B. Pujos
1889 - 1890 Rev. J. McNamara
1890 - 1893 Rev. B. Pujos
1893 - 1900 Mission of St. Patrick Church, Parsons, Ks.
1900 - 1906 Passionist Father[s] from St. Paul, Ks.
1906 - 1909 Rev. Thomas Powers
1909 - 1910 Rev. Austin Bonner
1910 - 1911 Rev. Jeremiah Lenehan
1911 - 1912 Rev. P.J. O'Leary
1912 - 1914 Rev. Francis Hayden
1914 - 1918 Rev. Daniel Reidy
1918 - 1927 Passionist Fathers from St. Paul, Ks.
1927 - 2008 Mission Mother of God, Oswego, Ks.
1927 - 1928 Rev. Anthony Myers
1928 - 1929 Rev. Michael O'Donovan
1929 - 1931 Passionist Fathers from St. Paul, Ks.
1931 - 1933 Rev. P.H. Rogers
1933 - 1943 Rev. Thomas McKernan
1943 - 1944 Rev. Arthur Holtz
1946 - 1949 Rev. Robert T. Dennis
1949 - 1950 Rev. Edward Steinberger
1950 - 1952 Rev. Patrick J. Barrett
1952 - 1964 Rev. Marino Caldarelli
1964 - 1966 Rev. Joseph Donohoe
1966 - 1981 Rev. James O'Shea
1981 - 1985 Rev. Joseph Abraham
1985 - 1987 Rev. Michael O'Malley
1987 - 1995 Rev. Parrick Larkin
1995 - 1997 Rev. John Zich
1997 - 2008 Rev. Larry J. Parker
Location. 37° 2.224′ N, 95° 5.769′ W. Marker is in Chetopa, Kansas, in Labette County. Marker is at the intersection of Maple Street (U.S. 59/166) and 9th Street, on the right when traveling west on Maple Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 903 Maple Street, Chetopa KS 67336, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial Auditorium — Gymnasium (approx. 0.3 miles away); Chetopa (approx. half a mile away); KATY Caboose Number 109 (approx. 8.9 miles away); John A. Mathews Park (approx. 9 miles away); The Little Town Well (approx. 9 miles away); Osage Indian Village (approx. 9 miles away); Sulky Plow (approx. 9.1 miles away); Riverside Park (approx. 9.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chetopa.
Also see . . . Summary of College of Consultors Meeting on Sacred Heart Church. (Submitted on November 2, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 1, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 356 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 2, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the Sacred Heart Church stained glass window now in Oswego, Kansas. • Can you help?