Paris, Île-de-France, France
[Church of St. John the Evangelist]
—Histoire de Paris —
Church of St. John the Evangelist
Built between 1894 and 1904, at the request of the parish priest of Saint-Pierre de Montmartre, which proved too large parish, the first modern church in Paris is the work of a disciple of Labrouste: Anatole de Baudot. Innovative in its own way, this official theorist, born in Sarrebourg in 1834, died loaded with honors in 1915, conceived the idea of a social and economic architecture in harmony with the industrial. Rationalist and progressive, endowed with a great influence on his students, he dared to introduce cast iron and reinforced concrete, and condemned in his writings camouflaging materials and structures. In 1904 he year of the church’s dedication, he published "The architecture and the cement gun", witnessed a changing times, fertile in new research, which ends with the First World War. If visitors show sometimes shocked to the point of engaging in lively debates, art criticism is unanimous salute the originality of entreprixe. The decor Orientalist treated "modern-style" contrasted with a traditional plan, carried out on two levels due to the steepness of the hill.
Location. 48° 53.064′ N, 2° 20.284′ E. Marker is in Paris, Île-de-France. Marker is on Rue des Abbesses. Touch for map. This marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Le Bateau-Lavoir (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Square Louise-Michel (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Saint-Pierre de Montmartre (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Le Moulin de la Galette (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); La basilique du Sacré-Cœur (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Le Moulin-Rouge (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); La maison de Rose de Rosimond (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Clos Montmartre (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 2, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 465 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 2, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.