Near Marfa in Presidio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created January 3, 1850
Organized March 13, 1875
So named for the early "Fortress
garrisoned by soldiers."
Erected for the protection of the
Big Bend missions.
Fort Davis, 1875
Marfa, since 1885
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 4116.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 30° 18.62′ N, 104° 0.334′ W. Marker is near Marfa, Texas, in Presidio County. Marker is on U.S. 67 0.8 miles east of Highland Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marfa TX 79843, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Presidio (here, next to this marker); Marfa Stockyards (approx. 0.3 miles away); Humphris-Humphreys House (approx. 0.9 miles away); El Paisano Hotel (approx. one mile away); Presidio County Courthouse (approx. one mile away); Blackwell School Fort D.A. Russell (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hunter Gymnasium (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marfa.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 327 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 4, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.